Forgot Your Password?
How to Identify and Deal with Potassium Deficiency
  Health      Science    

Did you know that deficiency of potassium-like electrolytes would do your body some serious damage? People seldom take into consideration the fact that they should maintain their potassium level to stay healthy for a longer time span.

 What are electrolytes?

Our cells and body particles contain minerals called electrolytes that are responsible for maintaining the fluid balance of our body. Out of the many electrolytes present in our body, potassium is one of the vital electrolytes. Hence, potassium deficiency can pose a serious problem to our health.

 How is potassium present in our body?

About 98% of the total potassium amount in the body exists in our cells while the remaining 2% is found in our bloodstream. Any fluctuation in the potassium level in our body could lead to potassium deficiency, which will in turn cause dire consequences.

How is potassium important to our body?

Our body requires electrical signals to function properly. This is where the need for potassium arises as it supports the signal transmission and electrical functioning of our body. To be precise, without potassium, our muscles would not have the strength or ability to move or perform actions. Potassium is extremely vital for your heart muscles.

What leads to potassium deficiency?

  • Unhealthy diet
  • Certain medicines such as diuretics.
  • Kidney disorders
  • Continued usage of laxatives and increased sweating
  • Diarrhea or vomiting

What are the symptoms of potassium deficiency?

One major hazard regarding potassium deficiency is how the symptoms are subtle, thus more likely to be ignored. This makes it graver a danger. Some of its common symptoms include:

  • Heightened thirst
  • Low blood pressure
  • Muscle cramps
  • Heart palpitations
  • Depression
  • Tendency to urinate frequently
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Numbness
  • Dizziness

If you are frequently experiencing any of these symptoms then it is better that you take a blood checkup. This would confirm whether you are suffering from potassium deficiency or not. It is necessary that you find out why the potassium levels of your body are less and take proper steps to resolve it.

Which are the foods that are rich in potassium?

The best way to fight potassium deficiency is by embracing a healthy diet. Here is a list of food items that could help boost your potassium levels:

  • Potatoes
  • Bananas
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Spinach
  • Lima beans
  • Kidney beans
  • Avocado
  • Lentils
  • Fish
  • Mushroom

Note:  These food items have the highest level of potassium when consumed raw or semi-cooked.

Now you know how to find out if you lack potassium and how to fight potassium deficiency by eating healthy. It is always wise to include fruits and leafy vegetables and seafood in your eating routine so that you do not have to regret in the future. Stay healthy to stay happy!


+ Add a Comment

Recently Published Knowledge

Development by dbinario - Designed by miln3